tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Alexey V. Meledin" <>
Subject Several questions
Date Sun, 02 Apr 2000 12:16:42 GMT

Apache 1.3.12 with + FreeBSD 3.3. + Tomcat 3.1b + 1.1b3
I have NameVirtualHosts

a. As I understand I can't has two equal Context due to JVM.
b. Due to servlet specification there is resolve procedure based on
RequestURI - ContextName => servlet-mapping.

So, if I have:
<Context path="/site1" docBase="/usr/local/httpd/htdocs/site1" debug="0" reloadable="true"
<Context path="/site2" docBase="/usr/local/httpd/htdocs/site2" debug="0" reloadable="true"

servlet-mapping = /servlet/*

ApJServMount /site1/servlet /site1

ApJServMount /site2/servlet /site2
1. If I do:
ApJServMount /servlet /site1
it doesn't work and specification say to me that it is right.
But where is the way to made such mapping? Only using Apache
mod_rewrite, mod_action and so on, i think.

2. In other cases I frequently need to start servlets under / in each
virtual host. IS the decision  equal to question 1?

3. The most secure and right virtual host tree:
        +-/htdocs  - as apache files
        +-/tomcat  - all relating to tomat

Then map servlets to http://virtual/servlet/ and via apache directives
manualy rewrite all needed servlets elsewhere I want. To
http://virtual/servletname, for example.

And I do that in all my virtual hosts, allowing users to use Apache
Config Files .htaccess

4. Can I change and commit web.xml file at virtual host without Tomcat
full restart?

Alexey V. Meledin <>
> InterForge Developers Group,  St-Petersburg, Russia

View raw message