tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Petr Jiricka <petr.jiri...@netbeans.com>
Subject RE: Question: role of Tomcat home ?
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2000 16:07:54 GMT

> Tomcat.home is used for:
> 1) tomcat jar files ( webserver ,jasper,etc).
> 2) location for "default" web.xml ( that is merged with your
> web app web.xml -
> you don't need to specify all mappings). That might go away.
>
> Home ( the one you specify in <contextManager> attribute) is used for:
> 1) webapps
> 2) a customized web.xml
> 3) work dir

Now I see. Sorry for not reading the comments in server.xml thoroughly. I
still think server.dtd should be updated, because it's way out of date. I
can try to do it if I find time, but I am not promising.

So the <contextManager> home is what really must exist - that's what
DefaultCMSetter is checking.

This leads me to another question: what's the difference between "default"
web.xml and "customized" web.xml then ? Does one take precedence over the
other ? Or aer both of them merged with the web app's web.xml.

The thing that worries me about using "defaults" is that your application
then may behave differently on another servlet 2.2-compliant server. Of
course, there is some server-specific information such as the JSPServlet,
but things like MIME types are application-specific rather than
server-specific and I believe these should be present in every web
application's DD to ensure full cross-server portability. So I think that
the only information in the default DD should be what is really
server-specific.

> The meaning of tomcat.home is "the directory where tomcat is
> installed"
> Home is where you run an instance of tomcat ( customized ).
> You can install
> tomcat in
> /opt ( as root ) and have every user run it's own instance of
> tomcat in it's
> home.
>

> > If not, then I don't think that DefaultCMSetter should
> check that tomcat
> > home is set, and it should be an optional setting. This
> would greatly help
> > in cases when for example I want to run Tomcat as an
> embedded server.
>
> We check if tomcat.home is set in order to prevent
> confiugration mistakes. If
> you don't install tomcat then probably it will not run very
> well, and it will be
> hard to track bug reports. We need at least a bit of "known
> state" - if tomcat
> starts then probably CLASSPATH is set corectly and TOMCAT_HOME is ok.
>
> We can move the check in a separate interceptor ( maybe add
> more checks !) and
> then you can disable that by not including the interceptor.

That would work for me, definitely.

Thanks.
Petr