tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Aleksander Grzebyta" <ol...@talex.com.pl>
Subject Odp: a few questions
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2000 09:01:47 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: Craig R. McClanahan <Craig.McClanahan@eng.sun.com>
To: <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2000 9:31 PM
Subject: Re: a few questions

[...]
> > I also downloaded jakarta-tools.zip and there are only five jars with no
> > readme.
> >

> This isn't needed to run Tomcat, or (any more) to develop it.  For
development,
> you need "jakarta-tomcat" and "jakarta-ant".

Yes. But how to find what is it for without any readme ?

> > My current questions:
> >
> > 1. Why cannot I run with JDK 1.2.2 on Windows 98. The following strange
> > error occurs. I know what that means, but why ?! When I run with JDK
1.1.7A
> > its OK. No CLASSPATH problems I suppose - the script running Tomcat is
the
> > same.
> >
> > java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.sun.xml.parser.Parser
> >         at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)
> >         at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:191)
> >         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java, Compiled
Code)
> >         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)
> >         at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
> >         at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:124)
> >         at
> > org.xml.sax.helpers.ParserFactory.makeParser(ParserFactory.java:109)
> >         at
org.apache.tomcat.util.xml.XmlMapper.readXml(XmlMapper.java:191)
> >         at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.execute(Tomcat.java:110)
> >         at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.main(Tomcat.java:130)
> > FATAL: configuration error
> > java.lang.Exception: Error creating sax parser
> >         at
org.apache.tomcat.util.xml.XmlMapper.readXml(XmlMapper.java:207)
> >         at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.execute(Tomcat.java:110)
> >         at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.main(Tomcat.java:130)
> >

> There is a problem running the particular code Tomcat uses on a JDK 1.2
system
> when it was compiled on a JDK 1.1 compiler.  That is currently true of the
> nightly builds, which I suspect you are using.  Download the 3.1 final
release
> (which was compiled with a JDK 1.2 compiler), and these problems go away.

Unfortunately I obtained it also for 3.1 final release. I have already
reported it as a bug.
Is it possible to specify another XML parser ?

> > 2. Where is the "Minimal administration tool" added in 3.1 beta release
?

>     http://localhost:8080/admin

Thanks. I have already find it out by guessing.

> > 3. Will Jakarta be developed to be a stanalone HTTP server or it will
base
> > on Apache ? I ask because of portability issues.
> >

> Tomcat can already function as a standalone HTTP server -- as well as
being
> able to provide servlet/JSP processing for existing web servers.  It isn't
an
> issue of "replacement".  You need to choose the right combination of
server
> technology that provides you the functionality and performance you need.
If
> Tomcat standalone does that for you, go ahead and use it -- if you need
the
> additional functionality or performance of Apache connected (or Netscape,
or
> Microsoft IIS) go ahead and use that.

It's clear, but will it be developed to expand its HTTP functionality (eg.
SSL support ). Using Apache I lose portability of Java application.

Thank you for your answer.
sincerely Olek