tomcat-users mailing list archives

From david sims <da...@simscomputing.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat, multiple IP addresses, and virtual domains
Date Sun, 09 Apr 2000 14:02:56 GMT
On Sun, 09 Apr 2000, Jeff Neuenschwander wrote:
> Can you use tomcat as a standalone webserver for enterprise-level
> applications?  I didn't know the standalone webserver could handle that kind
> of load.  I thought you had to link apache with it...

well, I've got a low volume public web site up now running Tomcat only.
Tomcat's doing a nice job of serving up JSPs, servlets, and static HTML pages
for me. (and the servlets talk to an Enterprise JavaBeans server, but that's
a different story. :-)

It's working so well, in fact, that I don't want to bother with Apache.
Tomcat's doing the job for me. I intend to keep using it as long as I can. And
should I notice some scalability problems with Tomcat later on, I'd much rather
contribute designs and code to the Tomcat project instead of Apache. I want to
help support for Java in the enterprise.

but, to answer your question, I don't know how far Tomcat can scale.

cheers,
david

--
David Sims               david@simscomputing.com