tomcat-users mailing list archives

From stevek...@iname.com
Subject Introduction document needed.
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2000 21:11:12 GMT
Hi,

After some struggle, I got Tomcat 3.1Beta setup on my RH6.1

I was all anxious to see some default servlet/jsp page displayed the same way you see apache
server initial setup page.

But all my examples, test etc. directory are empty. I can only get default display when I
do "http://my.host.ip.address:8080/examples" or "http://my.host.ip.address:8080/test"

My /examples directory only contains META-INF which is empty, I only see "WEB-INF" in documents.
Are they the same?

I also want to get some "hello world" kind of tutorial to set up my first servlet/jsp program
on the server.

I search high and low across the sites and /doc directory of tomcat with no result.

It seems I have to read all the documents to become an expert in servlet before I can write
my own "hello world" program. But isn't it the norm to show people how to "hello world" for
any new software these days?

I would really appreciate if somebody can share with me what I should do to get that "hello
world" servlet set up or point me to some useful introduction document.

Thanks in advance.

Steve.