From: Don Metzler
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2000 6:52 PM
Subject: NoClassDefFoundError when running JSPs

I can run the servlet examples via Tomcat.  However, each time I attempt to access a JSP, I get an HTTP 500 Internal server error on the client web browser.

The Tomcat window in NT shows:

Starting tomcat. Check logs/tomcat.log for error messages
Unhandled error! You might want to consider having an error page to report such
errors more gracefully
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/tools/javac/Main
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.SunJavaCompiler.compile(SunJavaCompiler.java:128)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.loadJSP(JspServlet.java:412)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.loadIfNecessary(JspServlet.java:147)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.java:159)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:259)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:523)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(HttpConnectionHandler.java:146)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java:334)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)

This seems to indicate that I am missing a Java class or JAR.

I do have J2EE installed over the J2SE.  Any idea what I am missing?

Thanks,

Don