tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jason Hunter <jhun...@acm.org>
Subject Re: EMail from a Servlet
Date Fri, 24 Mar 2000 19:56:54 GMT
Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> Chris Bruce wrote:
>
> > [snip]
> > import sun.net.smtp.*;
> > [snip]
>
> Note that relying on internal Sun APIs is not a good policy.

> The portable way to create mail messages in Java is to use the
> JavaMail APIs.

sun.* is easy to use, but there's always that risk they'll take it away
in JDK 1.4.  JavaMail is standard but is harder to use, takes two jars
to install, and is probably more likely to change than the sun.* classes
I think Sun forgot about.

But since I got tired of that debate, I came up with a solution that's
easy and "good policy".  Use com.oreilly.servlet.MailMessage.  It's well
documented and comes with source.  It's on Servlets.com.

-jh-

--
Jason Hunter
jhunter@acm.org