tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Hans Bergsten <h...@gefionsoftware.com>
Subject Re: NoClassDefFoundError when running JSPs
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2000 08:14:02 GMT
> Don Metzler wrote:
>

> I can run the servlet examples via Tomcat.  However, each time I attempt to
> access a JSP, I get an HTTP 500 Internal server error on the client web
> browser.
>
> The Tomcat window in NT shows:
>
> Starting tomcat. Check logs/tomcat.log for error messages
> Unhandled error! You might want to consider having an error page to report
> such
> errors more gracefully
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/tools/javac/Main
> [...]
> This seems to indicate that I am missing a Java class or JAR.
>
> I do have J2EE installed over the J2SE.  Any idea what I am missing?

Most likely you have not set the JAVA_HOME environment variable, so
the JAVA_HOME/lib/tools.jar file (which includes sun.tools.javac.Main)
is not included in the CLASSPATH. Also, I'm not sure it's a good idea
to mix J2EE (reference implementation I assume) settings with Tomcat
since the J2EE RI uses a slightly different version of Tomcat. If your
CLASSPATH contains J2EE RI stuff, you may run into trouble.

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten		hans@gefionsoftware.com