tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Colin Evans" <co...@fungusamungus.com>
Subject Re: Putting servlets in home directories
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2000 19:42:31 GMT

One problem that could show up is if you have all of your students make
their own versions of classes that have the same name and package structure.
i.e, if your assignment is to have students write a class called
"TestServlet" in package ni.edu.unan.cs101, the classes would all collide
when the classloader tried to load the servlets because all of the servlets
would be running in the same JVM.  You'll need to have a different class
and/or package for each student.

As for allowing users to deploy servlets in their own spaces, you could
create a server.xml config for tomcat that gave each student their own web
application and servlet context.  The directory location for the web
application can be anywhere you want, so you could write a program to
autogenerate a server.xml file from a list of student names.  Each student
then writes their own web.xml file and deploys their application
individually according to the WAR directory heirarchy.  Your last problem
will be finding a way for Tomcat to automagically reload servlets (I don't
know if it does this reliably yet..) which might mean cycling tomcat every
hour via cron.

Hope this helps!

-Colin

--