tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mike Grady" <...@majure.com>
Subject Re: servlet confusion...
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2000 15:40:59 GMT
From: Ron Forrester <rjf@zero-ping.com>
> Okay, so I took the IsItWorking.java example from the JServ dist,
> compiled it against the tomcat libs (i.e. servlet.jar), and copied the
> .java and .class files into WEB-INF/classes.
>
> All other configuration is the same, canned, tomcat-apache defaults:
>
> My question is, how do I run the IsItWorking servlet?
>
> I tried various URL's and always got a file not found.

I believe the URL you have to use is <web-app>/servlet/<servlet-name>/.
So if you put your test servlet under the "examples" directory, you
would have to use ".../examples/servlet/IsItWorking/".

> I am currently reading the 2.2 spec to see if there is something
> specific I need to change in the web.xml.

You also need to update the web.xml file under the
examples/WEB-INF directory in order to access this servlet.
Adding code like this should do the trick...

 <servlet>
      <servlet-name>
          IsItWorking
      </servlet-name>