tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Brad K" <>
Subject tomcat & JServ config
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2000 04:44:00 GMT
I am trying to setup tomcat under Apache 1.3 and am getting a little lost on
the configuration. I have JServ running currently. Does this replace JServ?
Can someone orient me on this.

Brad Koehler

-----Original Message-----
From: []On
Behalf Of Craig R. McClanahan
Sent: Sunday, March 19, 2000 6:29 PM
Subject: Re: servlet confusion...

Ron Forrester wrote:

> I have from from JServ over to tomcat this afternoon.
> First, I really enjoyed the installation process, having suffered
> through JServ+gnujsp installations.
> One thing has me quite confused however -- all of the example servlets
> with tomcat are embedded in HTML files.

This was done only to let you look at the source code -- servlets must be
Java class files, or packaged in a JAR file, to be executed.

> I am used to seeing servlets
> in .class files. Is this no longer supported? I copied a
> blah.{java,class} file into the example servlets dir and it just
> treats it like a generic file.
> Do I need to wrap all my servlets in container/launcher HTML files
> like the examples are?

Put your servlet classes in the WEB-INF/classes directory (or in a JAR file
in the WEB-INF/lib directory) of your web application.  These places are
automatically added to the class path for your app -- no additional
manipulation of the class path is required.  Set up the web application
deployment descriptor (WEB-INF/web.xml) as described in the Servlet 2.2

> Thanks.
> rjf&

Craig McClanahan

To unsubscribe, email: