From Matthew Broadhead <matthew.broadh...@nbmlaw.co.uk>
Subject xalan usage in taglibs
Date Sun, 26 Nov 2017 14:32:35 GMT
Hi,
I am currently evaluating whether the Xalan dependency can be dropped
from taglibs and replaced with javax.xml.*.

The reason for this is a conflict which occurs when I have Apache Fop as
a dependency:
java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.xml.dtm.ref.DTMManagerDefault
cannot be cast to org.apache.xml.dtm.DTMManager
     at org.apache.xml.dtm.DTMManager.newInstance(DTMManager.java:137)
     at org.apache.xpath.XPathContext.<init>(XPathContext.java:102)
     at org.apache.xpath.XPathContext.<init>(XPathContext.java:349)
     at org.apache.xpath.XPathContext.<init>(XPathContext.java:337)
     at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.<init>(TransformerImpl.java:397)
     at
org.apache.xalan.templates.StylesheetRoot.newTransformer(StylesheetRoot.java:200)

In org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.common.xml it seems like
org.apache.xpath.XPath could be replaced with
javax.xml.xpath.XPathExpression.

But the thing I don't understand is the method getContext in
org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.common.xml.XalanUtil uses a
VariableStack and returns an XPathContext.  I am not sure how they fit
into the SAX (?) model.

Can anyone shed some light on the inner workings of this function?

Regards,
Matthew