From Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release of Apache Taglibs
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2015 21:42:30 GMT
> I made a couple of minor improvements to Apache Taglibs last year related to XML parsing
and to how we load libraries (it now uses the TCCL which means the jars can be shared between
webapps as well as be included in a webapp as before). I would like to perform a minor release
(1.2.2) to include these. Before I do, are there any other issues that should be addressed?

> One change in 1.2 I think was not useful was the split of the 1.0 EL evaluator into its
own jar. I propose to merge that back so we end up with two jars: one with the javax classes
and one with our implementation.

I do not see a point in merging them back. Personally, I do not use
JSTL 1.0 EL implementation and do not plan to use it. (IIRC, the only
occurrence when I used them was when I made a typo in tag library url,
like copy-pasting from a wrong tld file. Hilarity ensued).
Unexpectedly using a wrong implementation may be confusing.

Another point is that I do not like changing release packaging in a
point release.  Is this driven by a real users' demand? Have there
been any public complaints from real users (e.g. an issue in
Bugzilla)? What do we do with Maven artifacts? Abandon one of them?

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko