From Rahul P Akolkar <akol...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Using JSTL 1.1.2 with Tomcat 5.5 & J2SE 5.0
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2005 17:52:53 GMT
"Dino Klein" <zagzag@speakeasy.net> wrote on 06/06/2005 09:16:07 AM:

> I have two jspx files (pasted below), where one includes the other.
> When I remove the xmlns:c declaration/importation - it works; similarly,

> when I do not include the other file, it also works fine.
<snip/>
> (1) main.jspx
> ==============
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <jsp:root xmlns:jsp="http://java.sun.com/JSP/Page" version="2.0">
> <maintag xmlns:c="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core">
>    <jsp:directive.include file="one.jspx"/>
> </maintag>
> </jsp:root>
> =============
>
> (2) one.jspx
> =============
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <jsp:root xmlns:jsp="http://java.sun.com/JSP/Page" version="2.0">
>    <taga>hello</taga>
> </jsp:root>
> =============

This is not a JSTL issue, marked OT. In XML views of JSPs, the included
file is expanded in place. And jasper2 isn't happy because there are more
than one jsp:root elements in the XML view of main.jspx. In your case, I
don't see any need for either of the two jsp:root elements (unless you
simplified before posting, and you have a legitimate need). Remove either,
or both, and you should be fine.

I think you've raised an interesting question. It seems jasper2 will not
allow includes in the scenarios that result in more than one jsp:root
elements in the expanded view. Please check if the spec says anything
about this. If not, I would:
1) Ask for clarification on jsp spec public (unless Mark or Pierre listen
to this list, and answer)
2) Post on tomcat-user, wait for feedback (follow with a bug report,
depending on feedback)

-Rahul