From "Ross, Douglas" <DR...@Kronos.com>
Subject RE: Redirect Issues
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:46:43 GMT

Increasing the buffer size may only mask the problem. You have to be
careful to understand what is happening: once any content in the buffer
has been commited to the response, a redirect may not be valid.

You definitely need to decide on the "view" (which redirect you want)
before you get to your JSP(s). If your JSP is making these decisions,
then you need to put these decisions at the very top before any output
goes to the client.

Hope this helps.

-----Original Message-----
From: Serge Knystautas [mailto:sergek@lokitech.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 1:38 PM
To: Tag Libraries Users List
Subject: Re: Redirect Issues

Nic Werner wrote:
> Greetings again,
>    I've noticed a problem with redirect if I have a good chunk of
code,
> where it won't redirect and I get this log error:
>
> ----- Root Cause -----
> java.lang.IllegalStateException
>        at

org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteResponseFacade.sendRedirect(CoyoteRespon
seFacade.java:338)

>        at

org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.common.core.RedirectSupport.doEndTag(Red
irectSupport.java:151)

>        at

org.apache.jsp.editoutlethandler_jsp._jspService(editoutlethandler_jsp.j
ava:602)

>        at
> org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:137)

First suggestion is to increase your page buffer size so that more of
your response can be kept in memory.  Second would be to try to move the

redirect higher in the JSP.  Third, in case this isn't the whole stack
trace, make sure you're not trying to do a redirect in an include file.

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501