From Shawn Bayern <bay...@essentially.net>
Subject RE: missing if/else syntax
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 20:41:45 GMT
On Thu, 8 May 2003, Henri Yandell wrote:

> Nope:
>
>  <c:either test="${ifTag.Existed}">
>    <c:do>
>      <c:either test="${another.Test}">
>        <c:do>..</c:do>
>        <c:or>..</c:or>
>      </c:either>
>    </c:do>
>    <c:or>...</c:or>
>  </c:either>
>
> Which is just a <c:choose> switch statement anyway.

Heh.  This discussion is rapidly coming to resemble the expert group's
deliberations.  We considered many different variants -- those listed here
and even other, stranger beasts(*) -- and decided on choose/when/otherwise
for a few reasons, some of which have already been pointed out:

 1. A parent <choose> tag plays by XML's rules, is straightforward to
    implement, and is in fact what XSLT (facing the same problem) chose.

 2. It supports multiple branches more cleanly than if/else
    constructs do when represented as XML tags.

 3. It drew a clean line between complex (multi-way) conditions and simple
    conditions (<c:if>) and allows them to be mixed orthogonally and with
    little confusion.  Simple conditionals with <c:if> NEVER have an
    effect on anything outside their immediate tag, whereas <c:when>
    and <c:otherwise> alter the flow within their parent tag.

Having said all this, decisions like this are necessarily made with large
doses of subjective intuition and judgment; it's possible and even likely
that different constructs will appeal for legitimate reasons to different
designers.  The EG picked the tags that generated the most consensus and
provided for the most function with the fewest primitives.

--
Shawn Bayern
"JSTL in Action"   http://www.manning.com/bayern

(*) I believe I once floated the idea for a single tag called <c:cond>
that adapted to its environment depending on neighboring <c:cond> tags to
become a 2-way or multi-way condition as necessary.  Another crazy idea
involved open-ended mutual exclusivity achieved at runtime with a tag
called something like <c:exclusive label="...">; this tags would prevent
other <c:exclusive> tags with the same label -- and their bodies -- from
executing