From "Chen, Gin" <Gin.C...@NielsenMedia.com>
Subject RE: missing if/else syntax (What about catch?)
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 14:21:27 GMT

Just my 2 cents. (and now I'm broke)
-Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: Serge Knystautas [mailto:sergek@lokitech.com]
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 9:05 AM
To: Tag Libraries Users List
Subject: Re: missing if/else syntax (What about catch?)

Mark R. Diggory wrote:
> So! What about "catch" folks??? Here we have a tag I've seldom found a
> use for. How am I supposed to use this tag? Seems counter-intuitive to
> not have a try block, doesn't it. On top of this, there is no fine
> grained control of exception catching in the catch tag, how do I catch
> one exception, but not another?

JSTL supports...

<c:catch var="ex">
   Blah
</c:catch>

You can then do <c:if> on the ex variable if you want different
exception types handled differently.

Also, Pierre, Shawn, and us zombies intentionally did not adopt many
Java conventions as Java developers were not the target audience for
JSTL.  We were shooting for people with little to no programming
experience, but with experience writing HTML.

At times, we would use similar names and conventions as Java, but then
were very careful to have JSTL and Java behavior act identically to
avoid confusion (even if the Java way was less than intuitive).

--
Serge Knystautas
President