From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: accessing static fields/methods from a static class using jstlel
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2003 00:43:14 GMT

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Pierre Delisle wrote:

> Henri,
>
> > Not being able to use static properties is a bit crappy. Who do we go kick
> > to get them? JSTL JSR? Shawn? JSP JSR?
>
> As of JSP 2.0/JSTL 1.1, the Expression Language is owned by the JSP spec.
> The above issue as well as support for method invocation in the EL has been
> the center of hot debates in JSR-152 (JSP 2.0).
>
> The tradeoff for JSP 2.0 has been to extend the EL to support declared
> functions. See JSP 2.0 Proposed Final Draft
> (http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/first/jsr152/index.html)
> for more details, and send your comments
> to jsr-152-comments@jcp.org if you'd like to voice your opinion.

Thanks Pierre,

For the JSTL and JSP JSR's [as the chief ones I'm interested in], do you
know of any archive online which lists the comments which have been sent
in? It'd be even better to see the replies, but i understand that these
are probably covered by NDAs.

Being able to see what comments have been submitted would help with a lot
of things:

*) Know what's already been done to death
*) Help create new ideas in my head
*) Help collate a separate taglib with extensions to the spec
*) Have a vague clue as to what the JSRs are deliberating over

Thanks,

Hen