From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject RE: Non Java Developers, programmers using JSTL and taglibs
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2003 17:11:15 GMT

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 Eric.Lewis@swissinfo.ch wrote:

> I disagree... By using a scriptfree TLD (as described in "JSTL In Action"),
> you can very well restrict your web designers to use only JSTL (or whatever
> tags you want them to use). Our web designers aren't allow to publish any
> JSP pages unless the first line reads
> <%@ taglib prefix="scriptfree" uri="/WEB-INF/scriptfree.tld" %>

Sadly I don't get to work with web designers, but this sounds like the way
to go.

The problem I found in the past with web designers is two-fold.

#1 Our Java screws up their tools.  JSTL solves this.
#2 They can't get their heads around if/loop constructs and variable
management. This they'll never do, it's the foundation of being a
programmer.

In addition, working with PHP designers, they do quite happily understand
how to output a variable, if it is there.

If working with web designers in JSP, I would define a sub-set of JSTL to
teach to them first. How to output variables, maybe how to modify a
date-format etc. As Eric has done, I would ban Java code in the page, but
reserve the right to insert it myself.

I would also teach them the concepts of including, along with the jstl tag
for includes. Designers love including once it's beaten into them [joke.
ish. honest. ].

> Also, we haven't used anything but JSTL up to now (ok, except for the String
> Tag Library, which is handy...). Frankly, I don't see the point in creating
> custom tags yourself at all.

JSTL doesn't have everything yet :) Also it can be nice to define tags
with business-level naming. Then teach these to your designers.

Hen