From "Renick, Garrel" <gar...@more.net>
Subject RE: Non Java Developers, programmers using JSTL and taglibs
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2003 20:54:42 GMT
This is an interesting topic, and people obviously have
strong opinions about successes and failures at using
this technology within their work environments.

My viewpoint is that JSTL provides a nice set of
features that most page designers with some programming
experience will be able to use, especially
if they spend the time to learn about the web
application environment (request/response, scope, etc.)
and get a good reference like Manning's "JSTL in Action".
Many work environments need web applications for simple
tasks of presenting dynamic data, and JSTL is
perfect for that. As the designers become more familiar
with the technology, they can move on to more sophisticated
projects that use frameworks such as Struts.

I think part of the problem with this discussion is the notion
that team members fit nicely in roles such as developer,
page designer, and graphics artist. Jeez, the original poster
even differentiated himself (the 'developer') from programmers and
that distinction baffles me. I would guess that few shops have staff
that fit so nicely into these roles, but instead there is a blending
of disciplines and each staff member has one or more specialties.
I have programming experience in other languages and web design experience,
but I don't have the entire Java API under my belt (yet). For people
like me that constantly deal with the view aspect of a project but
also have some programming experience, JSTL offers a nice standards-based
middle-ground where I can contribute. Conversely, if I was a pure graphics
artist without programming experience, then I would have no interest in
learning JSTL, even if it does look like HTML, and you'd be a fool to
think that voila!, I could instantly understand the techniques for
using JSTL to accomplish some tasks.

In the end, I would try to use the right tool to solve a problem, and
my choice would affected by the environment and experience of staff.
I'm sure there are many cases where JSTL is a perfect choice
and many others where attempting to use JSTL is unacceptable.

Regards,
Garrel Renick