From Pierre Delisle <pierre.deli...@sun.com>
Subject Re: Problem with "empty" key word on a collection.
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 22:04:54 GMT

Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Schnitzer, Jeff wrote:
>

>>>From: Shawn Bayern [mailto:bayern@essentially.net]

>>sort

>>>I believe so; I don't remember the details of the debate, but I think
>>
>>the
>>
>>>justification is that the EL doesn't deal with Collections in general
>>
>>in
>>
>>>any other situation.
>>
>>??  I'm pretty sure I can do a forEach across a Collection.
>>
>>This seems entirely inane.  Would someone patch the Jakarta
>>implementation to allow the empty operator on Collection?  We don't use
>>specifications, we use software.
>

> For Tomcat, I imagine the answer would be a flat no, but Jeff has a point
> here. Standard Taglib isn't the RI anymore is it? Doesn't that come from
> Sun?
> For Tomcat, I imagine the answer would be a flat no, but Jeff has a point
> here. Standard Taglib isn't the RI anymore is it? Doesn't that come from
> Sun?

Correct. 'standard' is the basis for the RI shipped by Sun.

> So can't Standard Taglib add patches like this that are natural and
> right?

What is important to note is that 'standard' also ships as an
implementation of the JSTL specification. Because of this,
'standard' must therefore pass the TCK.

The change that Jeff is proposing, although of interest, would
unfortunately break compatibility with the spec.
(sorry guys, but the Expert Group ain't perfect)

Given that the EL is now moving from the JSTL spec to the
JSP spec, the best way to handle this would be for Jeff
to submit a comment to the JSP spec comments alias at
jsp-spec-comments@eng.sun.com.

Hope this helps,

     -- Pierre