From Pierre Delisle <pierre.deli...@sun.com>
Subject Re: Non Java Developers, programmers using JSTL and taglibs
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2003 20:27:19 GMT
This is an interesting discussion. As the spec lead for JSTL,
I'm always interested in hearing about the practical experiences
people have with the technology.

Lyndon mentioned the following:
> Nonetheless I dont see the average "web designer"
> using jstl. Maybe jstl 2.0 will offer easier integration.

Actually, much of what is discussed on this alias and developed
on jakarta-taglibs influences the direction taken by JSTL.
Never underestimate the power of your comments! JSTL.next
will pretty much be the reflection of the needs expressed by
the community.

The JSR-052 (JSTL) expert group will be wrapping a maintenance
release shortly (JSTL 1.1 -- some fixes + synchonize with JSP 2.0).
This will eventually be followed by the formation of a new
JSR to tackle JSTL.next.

I was going to ask for community input in a month or so,
but since we're already pretty much in the heart of it
with this discussion, I'd encourage anyone to voice their
opinion on what the priorities should be for JSTL.next.

Also, I'd be very interested in hearing about the type of
environment you work in for the development of dynamic
web applications. That should help us understand as a community
the usage profiles and their bias :-)

Thanks,

    -- Pierre