From Peter Lin <tcw00l...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Non Java Developers, programmers using JSTL and taglibs
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 17:29:36 GMT

Here is an example off the top of my head. It will be
grossly over generalized, but it is still useful.
Asssuming you have three individuals with specialized
duties:

1. page designer - ie the graphics guy who makes
things look great

2. html coder - knows every nook and cranny of
browsers, what renders, what breaks and how to get
around it. doesn't care to know Java or other OOP
languages

3. developer

In past jobs, good designers will know some HTML. The
best page designers know HTML pretty well. Pure
graphic designer tend to do a terrible job and their
designs don't translate well. The likelihood of
finding an awesome designer that doesn't know a lick
of html, but can create great webpages is unlikely.

The html coders I've worked with like tag syntax and
are fine with javascript, so jstl is fine for them.
Some of the best HTML coders are decent graphic
designers.

Unfortunately not all companies can afford to have
these specialized individuals, so if you're in that
situation, buy the person a book and spend a couple
hours a week during lunch to cross train. JSTL and
tags in general are designed to solve a human problem,
but it's half the picture.

You still have to work hard to make development work
smoothly. Shawn Bayern's book JSTL in action is a good
book, so new designers should consider getting the
book. When ever I have to work with people who don't
know HTML or javascripting, I create a blank template
with just the title and a marker for where logic goes.
Like "<!-- list results here, don't touch-->" and walk
through it with the designer. That allows the page
designer to work around that, which allows you to keep
working and plugin your piece later on. Some markup
logic can be encapsulated in a very specific tag,
which a page designer can use without worrying about
correct usage.

if all else fails, dreamweaver does provide support
for jsp tags
http://www.macromedia.com/software/dreamweaver/productinfo/features/mx/07jsp_development.html

peter