From Peter Lin <tcw00l...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Non Java Developers, programmers using JSTL and taglibs
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 14:03:32 GMT

>From past experience there are alot of people who like
the cold fusion style of page authoring. If you've
ever looked at cold fusion tags and page syntax, JSTL
is very similar.

Even though tag like syntax has been around for a
while, many people are still unconfortable with them.
There's several reasons for this from personal
experience. Page authors who use WYSIWYG editors and
don't understand the difference between <p> and <div>
abhore looking at tags. You don't want these people
working on pages anyway.

On the otherhand, experience HTML coders who write
html by hand find it a nice environment that allows
them to do some simple markup logic w/o learning java.
I had to train junior developer in the past that
primarily used WYSIWYG editors. Once they got used to
hand coding html, using tag was preferable to writing
java.

Power comes a cost of learning, so if people find
their page authors are unwilling to put forth the
effort, then there's not much you can do.  I won't
mention companies, but there are other BIG players
that are moving towards tag syntax in their product
line for webservices.

peter