From Stephen Riek <stephenr...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject RE: Escaping quotes in form fields - c:out doesn't see my variable
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 04:05:12 GMT

Thanks, got it.
In summary then, my question should have been "can JSTL
be used with variables created within scriptlets?" to which
the answer would have been "nope, only with variables with
scope which means using the <jsp:useBean scope='..'> tag".
Stephen.
 "Karr, David" <David.Karr@wamu.net> wrote:Oh, yeah, and as another poster pointed out,
it is "${book.title}",
assuming your bean class is written correctly.

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Riek [mailto:stephenriek@yahoo.co.uk]
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 9:52 PM
To: taglibs-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Escaping quotes in form fields - c:out doesn't see my variable

Sorry for such an easy question but I must be misunderstanding
the fundamental usage of the JSTL.

How do I get JSTL to output a string which has been formatted
to escape special characters, so that it is safe to put in a form
field ? I have tried the following but it does not work-

 [input] ">

where 'book' is an instance of a Javabean which I have created
within a JSP scriptlet like this,

Book book = new Book(request.getParameter("BookId"));
book.retrieveValues();
%>

As you can see, I do NOT use JSTL's database tags for
querying databases since I have already wrapped all that
functionality and business logic inside my Javabeans (in
this case, the "Book" class). However, it seems that the
JSTL tag is unable to see my variable 'book' if I
instantiate it in this way, am I correct ?

I only want to use the tag in order to escape any
characters (such as ", ', &, \, >) which may upset my
input tag. Is this overkill or should I use a simple search/replace
instead ? I hope the solution will work with double-byte
characters too.

Thank you for bearing with me,

Stephen.