From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: about EL-based JSTL
Date Sun, 19 Jan 2003 19:09:42 GMT

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, Kishi Mikio wrote:

> But, because expression language is available in "only" JSTL,
> it is inconvenience. Also, expression language has some problems.

The nightly build of the String taglib ought to work in an EL environment.
I can add the same feature to the Log taglib's nightly build.

Would be interesting to hear which taglibs you'd want EL-ized.

> So, I have considered the use of not "EL-based JSTL" but "RT-based JSTL"
> in "all JSP parts" .
> Has it made a mistake in this strategy ?

[Have?]

I don't think so. You're just using the JSTL in the same style as all
taglibs have been used before. Nothing wrong there.

> Is it better to use "EL-based JSTL" ?

I think it's an architectual rather than technical decision. JSP 2.0 will
be EL-ised by default [as far as I know] so by using the EL-based JSTL now
you might get better forward compatibility. Then again, turning off the EL
is just a config option in the web.xml so it won't be very hard.

[I'm slowly putting together the JSP 2.0 world in my mind, so I may be way
off]

Hen