From "Schnitzer, Jeff" <JSchnit...@maxis.com>
Subject JSTL expression evaluation fails under load
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 23:52:29 GMT
[Does this list require subscription in order to post?  Most other
Jakarta lists don't.]

I'm getting erratic behavior from JSTL tags under Tomcat 4.1.12.  When
under load, sometimes expressions fail to evaluate.  This exception is
produced:

javax.servlet.ServletException: javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: An error
occurred while evaluating custom action attribute "test" with value
"${threadTool.player.moderator}": An error occurred while getting
property "player" from an instance of class
com.maxis.tso.community.tool.ThreadTool (java.lang.NullPointerException)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(PageContex
tImpl.java:494)
        at
org.apache.jsp.mb_posts_jsp._jspService(mb_posts_jsp.java:776)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:136)

It results in the page half-loading.  Simply refreshing the page works.
The expression is valid!  There is a
threadTool.getPlayer().isModerator().

I don't believe this behavior occurred under Tomcat 4.0.6.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get any of the deeper exceptions - that's
as deep as the stack trace reports.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong, or how to go about
diagnosing the error?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff Schnitzer
jschnitzer@maxis.com