From dmk...@earthlink.net (David M. Karr)
Subject Re: about EL-based JSTL
Date Sun, 19 Jan 2003 20:58:25 GMT

    Kishi> Hi,
    Kishi> I have one question about JSTL (especially, expression language).
    Kishi> Now, I have restructed a system with Java2EE,
    Kishi> and considered the use of JSTL
    Kishi> and other tag libraries(jakarta-talibs) at that time.

    Kishi> But, because expression language is available in "only" JSTL,
    Kishi> it is inconvenience. Also, expression language has some problems.
    Kishi> For example, it is impossible to use a method invocation
    Kishi> except getter and setter (such as List#size()),
    Kishi> a method invocation with arguments, and so on.

    Kishi> So, I have considered the use of not "EL-based JSTL" but "RT-based JSTL"
    Kishi> in "all JSP parts" .
    Kishi> Has it made a mistake in this strategy ?
    Kishi> Is it better to use "EL-based JSTL" ?

As Henri mentioned, JSP 2.0 will use the EL in all tag attributes, and in body
content.  There are also a small number of other libraries that use the EL
engine for attribute values, including the Struts tag library, using the
Struts-EL contribution.

In JSP 2.0, issues with method invocation in the EL will be somewhat addressed.
I would hesitate to go much further than JSP 2.0 is going, as that would make
it easier to pollute view logic with business logic.