From Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tag Instantiation With JSP 1.2
Date Sat, 11 Jan 2003 05:39:36 GMT

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Tony Colson wrote:

> I have read various email trails and looked at the JSP
> 1.2 spec and am still unclear on something regarding
> custom tags:
>
> I recently upgraded to tomcat 4.1.18 which uses the
> JSP 1.2 spec and in the case
>
> <custom:TagA>
>   <custom:TagB />
> </custom:TagA>
>
> where TagA re-evaluates the body several times, it
> seems that TagB only gets instantiated once and
> re-used.  This doesn't seem right to me (even after
> reading the specs) especially since it worked with
> previous versions os tomcat using JSP 1.1.  I would
> think that after the TagB.doEndTag() function the
> container would release() it and thus neccessitate the
> creation of a new TagB object on the next iteration.

The release() method is not required to be called between invocations of a
tag handler. For example, the following sequence of calls into a given
instance of a tag handler is perfectly valid:

  doStartTag()
  doEndTag()
  doStartTag()
  doEndTag()
  release()

See the Lifecycle description in section JSP.10.1.1 of the JSP 1.2 spec
for more information.

--
Martin Cooper