From Shawn Bayern <bay...@essentially.net>
Subject Re: XTags and EL
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2002 16:40:26 GMT
On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Chen, Gin wrote:

> Can you get EL to work in XTags? I dont see anything in the document
> that says it cant so I'm assuming that it can since it is in the JSTL
> that supports EL.
> 	I'm trying to do this:
>
>     <xtags:parse
> url='?media=$(request.xml_url)/$(request.media_type_selector)&entity=distrib
> utor-programs&parameter=MEDIA_DIST_ID|$(request.network_selector)'/>
>
> But it doesnt seem to work. Is my syntax wrong? Or is this just not
> supported?

No, under JSP 1.1, you can only use the EL in tags that go out of their
way to support it (particularly, JSTL tags).  Note that JSTL has an
XML-manipulation library inspired mostly by XTags, so you might feel right
at home migrating to it.

Under JSP 2.0, EL expressions will work wherever rtexprvalues currently
work, so you'll be able to retrofit the EL to old tags automatically.

--
Shawn Bayern