From Craig Longman <cra...@begeek.com>
Subject incorporating EL support
Date Thu, 12 Sep 2002 16:02:37 GMT

hi there,

i'm just starting out with jsp/taglibs, and have decided to focus on
using the jstl as the basis for my efforts.  it seems to provide exactly
what i needed, some basic, compatible tags to get started.

it is clear, however, that i'm going to have to write my own tags to get
any serious work done.

my question is this,  i figure that if i'm going to standardize on the
jstl, then it only makes sense to standardize on the EL stuff also, i
prefer its style to the scriplet thingies, and its less typing.  but,
i'm wondering what the preferred/recommended method is for doing this.

i see in the src dist for the reference jstl that there are a couple of
classes that look promising to use.  one is an interface
(ExpressionEvaluator) and then an implementing class
(ExpressionEvaluatorManager).  using it appears to be as simple as this
(from tag/el/core/ForEachTag.java):

  if( begin_ != null )
  {
    Object r = ExpressionEvaluatorManager.evaluate(
                  "begin", begin_, Integer.class, this, pageContext );
    if (r == null)
    {
      throw new NullAttributeException("forEach", "begin");
    }
    begin = ((Integer) r).intValue();
    validateBegin();
  }

it is acceptable to utilize this class in this manner for custom tags?
or is there a better/standard way.  i have been unable to find any docs
that talk about using the standard EL in your own tags, but if anyone
has any pointers, i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks,

--

    CraigL->Thx();
    Be Developer ID: 5852