From Shawn Bayern <>
Subject Re: <fm:fmtDate> and session based locales
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 14:13:57 GMT
On 6 Aug 2002, Bradley Schatz wrote:

> 	Config.set(session, Config.FMT_LOCALE, loc);
> this works perfectly with PropertyResouceBundle based <fmt:bundle>, and
> <fmt:message> tags in a given page. However, in the same page where this
> works, the <formatDate> tag only seems to output english, rather than
> the german i have configured the locale to. The tag i am using is below
> <fmt:formatDate value="${thedate}" type="both" dateStyle="LONG"
> timeStyle="LONG" />
> Any suggestions on what i could do to fix this ?

Hi Bradley.  It seems to work for me.  Is it possible that the German
locale just doesn't have the LONG/LONG date format that you expect?  For
instance, I get

     6. August 2002 10:09:49 EDT

for Locale.GERMAN, as contrasted with

     August 6, 2002 10:11:16 AM EDT

for my default (US English) locale.

The eighth month in German is indeed written "August," as in English.
Try it with October ("Oktober" in German) just to be sure.

Shawn Bayern
"JSTL in Action"

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>