From Stacy Young <Stacy.Yo...@sfcommerce.com>
Subject RE: Query Caching
Date Sun, 30 Sep 2001 02:48:24 GMT
What you've just described does not really apply to my environment. I hardly
implement any of the business logic, if any at all, in the front
end...Unless it's a smaller application that I'm rolling out, then sure...

Does this mean there aren't any DB Tags with caching functionality?  ;-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Reynir Hübner [mailto:reynir@hugsmidjan.is]
Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2001 11:46 AM
To: taglibs-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: RE: Query Caching

One of ideas of the MVC pattern/architecture (MODEL/VIEW/CONTROLLER) is to
keep the buisnesslogic out of the presentation logic and vice versa.
This means keep what the controller should be doing (such as data
manipulation, etc.) out of what the view should be doing - present your data
in some format. Some people are using the JSP page as a controller and the
tags as buisnesslogic to be preformed and then in the end use the JSP page
also as view.

this means the JSP layer serves both the controller and view purpose. The
results of usage like this is the fact that the View layer of the model can
come very expensive, holding all the logic both for presentation and most of
the buisnesslogic too. This means if your website want´s to change it´s
layout, or maybe start some service using XML or WML or something like that,
you must implement all the buisnesslogic again for those different layouts.
Also if you wanted to change the database you want to use, for example port
your application from using Oracle over to useing MySQL you will have to
change the presentation layer (that is if you use some oracle specific
functionality), and probably everything else in your app, at least you would
have to change the tags that interact with the server. And if you are using
3rd party tags you get into troubles there...Maybe in some projects it´s not
relevant, and there for its alrigth to use db-tags or what ever other
functionality inside JSP pages. I cannot see that as "not breaking the MVC
idealogy".