From "Procek, Brett" <pro...@lucent.com>
Subject Any experienced struts users out there?
Date Wed, 02 May 2001 18:03:27 GMT
I keep seeing references to using the Struts framework.  I'm curious if
anyone has used this for a commercial product and can give me some
feedback.  I'm considering it, but it just seems a little "heavy". I've
been reading about it a bit and it seems that in order to use this
software you need jar files, a bunch of tag-libs, some configuration
files, etc.  Also, when developing with it, you need to generate a
plethora of application files, one bean for each form, one action class
for every action, not to mention business logic beans and jsp files.
Isn't this a little much just to functionally separate out the
components of your software.  Can someone offer some advice.

Thanks alot,
Brett Procek

-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Newman [mailto:sam.newman@stamplets.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2001 3:00 AM
To: taglibs-user@jakarta.apache.org; James Strachan
Subject: Re: Form validation

I'm going to check out strust today for this form stuff. Although I've
not
fixed it using a simple error substitution tag and using the Input
taglib, I
have similar projects coming up I might us it with.

> > Having just seen the article on form validation on javaworld, I
would
like
> > to of used that instead, but it doen't allow usage in a commerical
product
> > :-(
>
> Yes. One of these days I'd like to get a simple, lightweight,
decoupled
form
> validator package that is similar to that described in the javaworld
> article.

I emailed the guy and he seems to be in the process of writing a
commerical
license for the form code. I'll let you know what it looks like

> I saw that Baracuda contains a form validation package that looks
> interesting:-
>
> http://barracuda.enhydra.org/index.html

http://barracuda.enhydra.org/cvs_source/Barracuda/docs/forms/forms_brief
.gif

> though I'm not sure how dependent it is on other stuff (XMLC et al) -
I'd
> rather it be a seperate independent package that could be used
independently
> of the other Baracuda stuff.
>
> James

I've added this to my list of things to look at. All I need now is some
of
this slack time I've been hearing about in project management books....

sam