tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: AccessLogValve using STDOUT
Date Sun, 11 Nov 2018 10:48:03 GMT
Hi Romain,

Am 11.11.2018 um 11:16 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau:
> Hi Rainer,
>
> There is an abstract access valve do providing a log impl (like [1]) can
> enable that - plus other standard stuff like pushing on kafka accesses -
> without hardcoding an stdout stream which can not work in docker in some
> setup (where tomcat is launched by another process and redirects only
> configured logs).

I know, that there's the AbstractAccessLogValve, that's why I wrote "Of
course it also extends our base AbstractAccessLogValve", so I am using
it in the STDOUT variant just like the LoggingAccessLogPattern you
mentioned does.

Yes, another way would be to have a variant that writes via JULI and let
people configure that (combining with what log framework they like).
That would be more flexible, but also less performant. The reason, that
the AccessLogValve doesn't simply use a log framework for the request
protocol is (I think) only performance. If that is correct and still
relevant, then using a less performing approach for a seemingly simpler
STDOUT output would be surprising.

Regards,

Rainer