tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: tomcat-native trunk
Date Mon, 03 Sep 2018 11:40:42 GMT
Le 03/09/2018 à 11:41, Mark Thomas a écrit :

> No strong views on which build system to use but I will say that Gradle
> might be worth a look.

With my Debian maintainer hat on I have to say that Gradle is a real
hindrance and I hope the Tomcat components will stay out of it. Gradle
itself is a behemoth that is very difficult to maintain, as a build
system it has little respect for backward compatibility, and its
imperative nature quickly turns build files into a non standard, project
specific, mess.

Gradle is barely an improvement over Ant IMHO, but at least Ant is
stable and really cares about backward compatibility. Beyond Ant I think
a declarative build system like Maven is a saner choice.

The tomcat-native fork maintained by netty [1] is built with Maven,
maybe we could get some inspiration from it.

Emmanuel Bourg

[1] https://github.com/netty/netty-tcnative