tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Igal @ Lucee.org" <i...@lucee.org>
Subject Semantic Versioning
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2017 19:47:05 GMT
Hi everyone,

I have recently realized that Tomcat does not follow Semantic
Versioning, and even minor upgrades can break existing setups.

Most users today expect Semantic Versioning, which specifies the
following (from [1]):

Given a version number MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH, increment the:

 1. MAJOR version when you make incompatible API changes,
 2. MINOR version when you add functionality in a backwards-compatible
    manner, and
 3. PATCH version when you make backwards-compatible bug fixes.

Additional labels for pre-release and build metadata are available as
extensions to the MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH format.

I think that it's important to adopt such a policy, so that minor
updates are easier to do, e.g. updating only the /lib directory without
worrying about the /bin or other directories.

     [1] http://semver.org/

Thank you,

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer