tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jarosław Górny <jaroslaw.go...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Should we update version scheme information for tomcat 9?
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2016 15:29:55 GMT
Hi,

> OK, I've read over what I proposed again and it looks correct to me. I
> only made one change after you provided further explanation and that
> change was to add 'finalized' in the Alpha release description:
>
> +functionality required by the finalised specification and/or significant bugs
>
> I did this to further demarcate Milestone releases from Alpha
> releases. If this sounds good to everyone, I'll push it up.

Thanks for that! If I'm reading all of that correctly, "M-builds"
(milestones) are actually pre-alpha, right? Which means, there will be
a 9.0.0-alpha at some point. Also, I assume there might be more than
one alpha or beta release. So we can again expect something like:
9.0.0-alpha1, 9.0.0-alpha2, etc. If so, will the first alpha contain
numerical suffix. Or first one will be just 9.0.0-alpha, and prefixes
added only if it turns out there are more than one "alpha" stage
releases?

Additional note, on http://tomcat.apache.org/ Milestone builds are at
the moment referenced as "alpha", which IMVHO is confusing. For
example:

"The Apache Tomcat Project is proud to announce the release of version
9.0.0.M10 (alpha) of Apache Tomcat.(...)"

Thank you!

--
Jarosław Górny