tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibu...@gmail.com>
Subject tomcat 7 broken on java 7 for linux distro
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2016 15:42:03 GMT
Hi guys,

tomcat uses ConcurrentHashMap in few places and doesn't rely on
ConcurrentMap API  (ApplicationContext IIRC for instance was the case I
encounter). This means if you build tomcat with java 8 and run on java 7 it
is broken cause of this new KeyViewSet API used on java 8 (returned type is
used for method lookup at runtime).

Why would you do it? Not sure but several linux distribution do it.

I know we could easily ask all linux distro to build using java 7 but at
least fedora/redhat/ubuntu are impacted and tomcat can easily without
loosing any feature make it passing for that case using the interface
instead of the implementation as field type.

Do you think it is possible or would you just move it over linux distro? If
this last one: how to ensure we don't get more regression in the future due
to another build process for user binaries?

Thanks,
Romain Manni-Bucau