tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Burch <br...@pingtoo.com>
Subject Re: [Tomcat Wiki] Update of "FAQ/Linux_Unix" by KonstantinKolinko
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2014 12:40:41 GMT
On 03/03/14 11:16, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Le 03/03/2014 11:21, Apache Wiki a écrit :
>
>>    That is because each of these packages distributes the files of Tomcat
>>    in different places on the disk, sets different environment variables,
>>    sets different links from one directory to the other in the filesystem, etc..
>> + Moreover, some of those packages are notably outdated.
>
> But some people try hard to make them current ! :)

That is good to hear!

> Tomcat 7.0.52 is in Debian unstable [1] and I plan to backport it to the
> stable distribution which is stuck with 7.0.28 + security fixes. The
> package for Tomcat 8 is ready [2] and will be uploaded once EasyMock has
> been upgraded.

I like the way the debian/ubuntu package installs, but I moved away from
7.0.28 a very long time ago. My present strategy is to build my
preferred version (currently 7.0.52) from source, then deploy it to
replace the 7.0.28 specific content. Using CATALINA_HOME and
CATALINA_BASE as recommended by the tc-devs certainly makes this
approach less painful.

As you will have noticed already, the main responders on the tc-users
list have learned the hard way that it is difficult to help people who
are stuck on an obsolete version because they took the "safe and easy"
option to install their O/S distribution maintainer's "stable" package.

If you need some help (perhaps QA testing), please let me know.

Thanks for the work so far, and the good intentions!

Brian