tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Rémy Maucherat <>
Subject Context switch integration
Date Tue, 14 Jan 2014 17:03:53 GMT

In Tomcat, entering a context is done simply by setting the context
classloader and sometimes firing some random events (like the ones from the
ServletRequestListener). This isn't so good for integration and could use
improvements, in addition to at least one place where this is not done at
all (very recently a bug reported to me that indicated there was an issue
with SSO session expiration, and indeed it expires sessions from other
contexts just like that).

So I would propose harmonizing this (and fix the SSO issue too, obviously),
with a new dedicated ThreadBindingListener interface (two methods:
bind/unbind) and a get/set for it also in Context, to be used for
integration. Although usually generic listeners are used (and there can be
multiple ones), this has worked well for me so far.

Ideally I would have liked to also take over the privileged actions in a
utility class, but this would make PA use less optimal (for example in the
request dispatcher).

Comments ? (or better ideas ?)