tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1521594 [1/16] - in /tomcat/site/trunk: docs/ docs/images/ docs/stylesheets/ xdocs/images/ xdocs/stylesheets/
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2013 16:51:20 GMT
2013/9/11 Christopher Schultz <chris@christopherschultz.net>:
> Konstantin,
>
> On 9/11/13 12:32 PM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>> 2013/9/11 Konstantin Prei├čer <verlag.preisser@t-online.de>:
>>> Hi Konstantin,

are in HTML5 [2] which is a candidate recommendation, so I think it should be okay to use
them - Firefox, Chrome and IE 9/10 support <header> and <footer> (they use "display:
block;" CSS for it), but IE 9 and below will use <div> which is added with conditional
comments.

>>> The <main> tag is not supported by IE 10 yet, so I added the CSS "main
{ display: block; }" to use the correct style in IE 10. However, Firefox 23 and Chrome 29
already support the <main> tag, so I think it would be OK to leave it. But we can remove
it as the HTML 5 spec says, to mark the "main" content of a page, just leave it and mark everything
else with "header" and "footer"; so I think, semantically, the <main> tag would not
be needed.

>> Keep it simple.
>>
>> I do not like the use of conditional comments.
>>
>> 2. Not every server is connected to the internet and is kept
>> up-to-date to have the latest Firefox.  I have to maintain Tomcat on
>> several servers that have old version of Firefox installed (such as
>> 3.6). This documentation will be broken there. [3]
>> (Well, it is not a show stopper. It would be a lot more trouble if we
>> broke the Manager application).
>>
>> IIRC, the plan was to roll this design to Tomcat 7 and Tomcat 6 as well.
>
> Since we have XSLT at our disposal, I propose that we:
>
> a) leave <header> and some of the more exotic HTML5 elements in place in
> the source.
>
> b) have the transformer convert <header> into <div> for the time being.
> At some point in the future, we can remove that substitution.
>
> If I've got it wrong, and the XSLT is the problem (because it converts
> one-step process: change the XSLT to use <div> instead of <header> and
> be done with it.

That <header> is inside XSLT itself, in a template for the page, in
<xsl:template match="document">.

There is no <header> elements in the xdoc sources themselves.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko