tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1521594 [1/16] - in /tomcat/site/trunk: docs/ docs/images/ docs/stylesheets/ xdocs/images/ xdocs/stylesheets/
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2013 16:32:21 GMT
2013/9/11 Konstantin Prei├čer <verlag.preisser@t-online.de>:
> Hi Konstantin,

in HTML5 [2] which is a candidate recommendation, so I think it should be okay to use them
- Firefox, Chrome and IE 9/10 support <header> and <footer> (they use "display:
block;" CSS for it), but IE 9 and below will use <div> which is added with conditional
comments.

> The <main> tag is not supported by IE 10 yet, so I added the CSS "main { display:
block; }" to use the correct style in IE 10. However, Firefox 23 and Chrome 29 already support
the <main> tag, so I think it would be OK to leave it. But we can remove it as the HTML
5 spec says, to mark the "main" content of a page, just leave it and mark everything else
with "header" and "footer"; so I think, semantically, the <main> tag would not be needed.

Keep it simple.

I do not like the use of conditional comments.

2. Not every server is connected to the internet and is kept
up-to-date to have the latest Firefox.  I have to maintain Tomcat on
several servers that have old version of Firefox installed (such as
3.6). This documentation will be broken there. [3]
(Well, it is not a show stopper. It would be a lot more trouble if we
broke the Manager application).

IIRC, the plan was to roll this design to Tomcat 7 and Tomcat 6 as well.

> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html51/
> [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/

[3] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/header

Best regards,