tomcat-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC2
Date Wed, 18 Sep 2013 20:18:34 GMT
Mark,

On 9/17/13 1:53 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 2 is now available
> for voting.
> 
> Given this is a release candidate I am working on the basis that it is
> equivalent to an alpha. The main changes since RC1 are:
> - Updated spec implementations with results of various "grey area"
> discussions from the EG mailing lists
> - Now uses UTF-8 by default
> - Switch to async logging and one-line log format by default
> - New doc style
> - Refactored TLD parsing (work in progress)
> - Fixed all the issues reported against RC1
> - Add Servlet 3.1 non-blocking support to the AJP connectors
> - Fix an issue with the new WebResources and packed WAR files
> 
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.0-RC2/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-066/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_0_RC2/
> 
> The proposed 8.0.0-RC2 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC2 alpha

Works fine in dev environment with some of my webapps. Specifically
configured with NIO connector, no SSL, no Websocket usage, small heap
(-Xmx128M, compressed OOPs). Mac OS X on Oracle 1.7.0_40-b43 (64-bit).

> - Now uses UTF-8 by default

Yay! Did anything actually change? I think this had been done before, no?

> - Switch to async logging and one-line log format by default

Does this affect catalina.out? I'm still seeing multi-line messages
going to catalina.out (stderr/stdout).

> - New doc style

Nice!

Strangely, I got 2171 of these in catalina.out when launching:

Sep 18, 2013 4:03:42 PM org.apache.catalina.webresources.Cache getResource
WARNING: Unable to add the resource at [{0}] to the cache because there
was insufficient free space available after evicting expired cache
entries - consider increasing the maximum size of the cache

I don't have anything cache-related defined in my server.xml (nor
META-INF/context.xml) so I suspect I have whatever defaults are

Of primary concern is that I have not specifically configured anything,
and with what I consider to be a modestly-small-sizes webapp, I got 2171
warnings on startup. Yikes. The 'resource' isn't named, which is a
slight concern, too.

After using my webapp for a bit, I started getting more of the above
warnings in catalina.out. I'm up to 2299 at this point.

-chris


Mime
View raw message