tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1521594 [1/16] - in /tomcat/site/trunk: docs/ docs/images/ docs/stylesheets/ xdocs/images/ xdocs/stylesheets/
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2013 16:41:30 GMT
Konstantin,

> 2013/9/11 Konstantin Prei├čer <verlag.preisser@t-online.de>:
>> Hi Konstantin,

are in HTML5 [2] which is a candidate recommendation, so I think it should be okay to use
them - Firefox, Chrome and IE 9/10 support <header> and <footer> (they use "display:
block;" CSS for it), but IE 9 and below will use <div> which is added with conditional
comments.

>> The <main> tag is not supported by IE 10 yet, so I added the CSS "main { display:
block; }" to use the correct style in IE 10. However, Firefox 23 and Chrome 29 already support
the <main> tag, so I think it would be OK to leave it. But we can remove it as the HTML
5 spec says, to mark the "main" content of a page, just leave it and mark everything else
with "header" and "footer"; so I think, semantically, the <main> tag would not be needed.

> Keep it simple.
>
> I do not like the use of conditional comments.
>
> 2. Not every server is connected to the internet and is kept
> up-to-date to have the latest Firefox.  I have to maintain Tomcat on
> several servers that have old version of Firefox installed (such as
> 3.6). This documentation will be broken there. [3]
> (Well, it is not a show stopper. It would be a lot more trouble if we
> broke the Manager application).
>
> IIRC, the plan was to roll this design to Tomcat 7 and Tomcat 6 as well.

Since we have XSLT at our disposal, I propose that we:

a) leave <header> and some of the more exotic HTML5 elements in place in
the source.

b) have the transformer convert <header> into <div> for the time being.
At some point in the future, we can remove that substitution.

If I've got it wrong, and the XSLT is the problem (because it converts
one-step process: change the XSLT to use <div> instead of <header> and
be done with it.

I like the "proper" markup of <header>, etc. because it gives the
document more semantic structure than all those <divs> (one of the
downfalls of HTML DOM standardization is that everyone switched
everything over to DIV). On the other hand, there are <h1> through <h6>,
so if you want a <header>, why not use <hN> instead?

-chris