tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Preißer <verlag.preis...@t-online.de>
Subject RE: svn commit: r1521594 [1/16] - in /tomcat/site/trunk: docs/ docs/images/ docs/stylesheets/ xdocs/images/ xdocs/stylesheets/
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2013 14:22:13 GMT
Hi Konstantin,

HTML5 [2] which is a candidate recommendation, so I think it should be okay to use them -
Firefox, Chrome and IE 9/10 support <header> and <footer> (they use "display:
block;" CSS for it), but IE 9 and below will use <div> which is added with conditional
comments.

The <main> tag is not supported by IE 10 yet, so I added the CSS "main { display: block;
}" to use the correct style in IE 10. However, Firefox 23 and Chrome 29 already support the
<main> tag, so I think it would be OK to leave it. But we can remove it as the HTML
5 spec says, to mark the "main" content of a page, just leave it and mark everything else
with "header" and "footer"; so I think, semantically, the <main> tag would not be needed.

Regards,
Konstantin Preißer

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html51/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/