tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Code style rules: Line length
Date Fri, 09 Aug 2013 12:27:20 GMT
My opinion only (since I've been pretty inactive lately ... only enough
time to lurk)

I'm a big fan of long method/class names and 80 character width drives me
nuts - unless your IDE is a phone - 80 is not very wide.

100 many times is just enough extra space to limit a lot of wrapping.
(preferred soft limit)

120 is pretty wide and with enough side bars open in your IDE - this could
get annoying.