tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Possibly spurious warning in 8.0.0-RC1: Unknown servlet level "2.3"
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2013 20:06:31 GMT
All,

I just launched my primary webapp in an 8.0.0-RC1 and saw this message:

Aug 06, 2013 3:48:13 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.WebXml
setVersion
WARNING: Unknown version string [2.3]. Default version will be used.

My actual uses version "2.5":

<web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee"
http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/web-app_2_5.xsd"
         version="2.5"
         metadata-complete="true">

...however, I have a "dummy" ROOT webapp to catch requests that go to
unknown webapps and give a nicer error message. This is the web.xml
declaration:

<!DOCTYPE web-app

<web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee" version="2.3">
  <display-name>Dummy ROOT context to prevent 400 Bad Request
</web-app>

Obviously, I should probably upgrade my dummy ROOT webapp, but servlet
version 2.3 should still be supported, no?

-chris