tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Jasper improvements
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2013 03:52:50 GMT
On Jun 26, 2013, at 12:58 PM, Christopher Schultz <chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:
> On 6/26/13 2:57 PM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
>>
>> You wrote in the bug that "annotation's don't make sense" - could you
>> clarify that?
>
> Yes: I was thinking that generating classes that used annotations would
> be a good idea. In retrospect, I don't believe it would be a good idea
> -- at least not by default. Since we are generating a web-fragment,
> there's no need to use annotations. We could also cheat and not use a
> web-fragment and instead use annotations.
>
>> I was thinking that we could have Jasper add @WebServlet("/foo.jsp")
>> to the class generated for "foo.jsp" and then that would be picked up
>> by a container as part of its normal scan.
>
> While that is possible, I see no reason not to explicitly-map the
> servlets individually in a web-fragment. The user can then easily edit
> the single output file (web-fragment.xml) and modify it if necessary.
> For instance, maybe some JSPs shouldn't be called directly.

Perhaps this should be user-configurable (option to generate a web-fragment.xml or annotations
on the generated classes)?

>> BTW, can't we use ServletContext#getEffectiveMajorVersion() to
>> determine the spec-version number?
>
> Sure we can, but JspC doesn't provide a ServletContext...

It kind of does:
  http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/trunk/java/org/apache/jasper/servlet/JspCServletContext.java?view=markup
but it also has its own versions of WebXml and JspConfig, as well as the JspCompilationContext
and JspRuntimeContext. This is one of the areas I found confusing :)

As I was proposing in my other post, if we could make the compilation process driven entirely
off a ServletContext we can separate the JSP processing from the context setup which should
simplify its implementation. JspC would then handle setup of a build-time JspCServletContext
in the same way Catalina sets up the runtime ServletContext.