tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1493066 - /tomcat/trunk/java/org/apache/catalina/startup/ContextConfig.java
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2013 16:15:21 GMT
Mark,

On 6/14/13 11:54 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 14/06/2013 16:38, Rainer Jung wrote:
>> On 14.06.2013 15:43, markt@apache.org wrote:
>>> Author: markt
>>> Date: Fri Jun 14 13:43:56 2013
>>> New Revision: 1493066

>>> Log:
>>> Container provided JARs should not be scanned for deployment
>>> annotations nor should they be checked for web-fragment.xml files.
>>
>> Sorry I haven't really investigated this, but:
>>
>> - I think I have seen you committing a change that labels common loader
>> loaded Jars as container provided
>
> Correct.
>
>> - we usually suggest to pack JDBC drivers into the common loader, right?
>
> Correct.
>
>> So as a general consistency check to the above: we don't expect JDBC
>> drivers to contain relevant annotations, web fragments etc. in the near
>> future?
>
> I certainly don't.

I was actually hoping that certain JDBC drivers would start packaging a
listener that could do things like stop driver-launched threads, etc.
that the user doesn't really know have been started. Will this then
always be a requirement of the webapp to provide a listener that
essentially does nothing on startup but then terminates things on shutdown?

Or is the idea that these issues are moot unless the driver is actually
in WEB-INF/lib and in that case the listeners will actually be
discovered and fire?

-chris